Throwback: How Major Mahama was killed

Exactly a year today, 29th May, 2017 news broke that Major Maxwell Mahama had been lynched by residents of Denkyira Obuasi on suspicion that he was an armed robber.

In fact, our investigations showed that the talk of Major Mahama being a criminal or an armed robber was a well orchestrated ploy to cover up for that bestial act by some indigenes of Denkyira-Obuasi in the Central Region.

It was established from deeply searched hounds that Major Mahama was lured into his death range unsuspectingly by the town’s assembly member and his gang on the fateful day that he met his brutal death.

“So it was also totally untrue that Major Mahama was on his routine daily jogging,” a source close to the Ghana Armed Forces (GAF), said.

In fact, a Lieutenant of the Army, name (withheld) who held the fort for Major Mahama, had gone to write exams, our source further said, nearly faced a similar fate, but for his intuitive direction and response to the trap set by assembly man and his cohorts.

It later came to light that the said Lieutenant refused to personally attend a meeting organised by the assembly man and instead detailed four of his juniors to attend the said meeting.

The assembly man and his group had anticipated that they would be able to convince the military detachment to soften their stance on galamsey operations in their area; but the soldiers would not budge.

In the process, the four military men had to escape the wrath of the townsfolk. What helped them was that they were four in number and so dealing with them wasn’t going to be easy.

The soldiers, reported their narrow escape to their superiors which was even recorded in their daily report to the military hierarchy in Accra.

Major Mahama who returned to base after finishing his exams, the source said, was lured into a similar meeting by the assemblyman and when he refused to play ball, they decided to take the life out of him.

Some of the ladies who blew the false alarm about the armed robbery status of Major Mahama were part of the grand scheme.

The alarm, the source said, was not raised by the woman who sold the snails to the late Major.

Instead, the source said, it was raised by one of the women who had come to the roadside to buy food items.

“Her presence at the roadside was only a decoy. She called the assemblyman to notify him that Major Mahama had hit the road side and therefore, should notify his gang who had then ambushed waiting for instructions to strike at Major Mahama,” our source indicated.

According to the source, the military hierarchy was said to be very angry at the first information put out by the police that Major Mahama was an armed robber.

In the estimation of the military chief, the police acted unprofessionally by putting out such falsehood without taking the pain to ascertain the truth or otherwise of the allegations.

Major Mahama was mistaken for an armed robber by the people of Denkyira-Obuasi and was subsequently lynched, resulting in his death.

He was given a state burial on June 9, 2017.

Related Posts