Former president John Agyekum Kufuor has hit back at Mr. JJ Rawlings, despite the latterâ€™s apology to the former over inappropriate remarks he made about him.
Rawlings at a meeting with chiefs and elders from Mepe in the Volta Region last week used unpalatable words against Kufuor and former president John Mahama.
Rawlings, who has been critical of the duo, described former President Kufuor as â€˜evilâ€™ and Mahama as a â€˜rogueâ€™ who destroyed the country.
He said: â€œI know with my integrity when I die, I will go to heaven but when I see these corrupt leaders, I will ask permission from God and flog them.
Responding to Rawlingsâ€™ assertions, Mr. Kufuor said: â€œAs to Heaven, it is only God who decides who goes there or not.â€
Below is his full statement :
Kufuor replies Rawlings
The attention of former President John Agyekum Kufuor has been drawn to the publication of a very damning and unpalatable diatribe about him by former President Jerry John Rawlings and his (Rawlingsâ€™) subsequent withdrawal and apology for same in the last few days.
However, despite that President Kufuor accepts the apology, he wishes to make it clear that:
1. He has never divested any state property to himself or his family members.
2. All the divestiture of state properties and enterprises that took place during his tenure in office was done legally and according to laid-down procedures, rules, and regulations, and to the utmost benefit of the people of Ghana.
3. President Kufuor never tried to unduly influence the promotion or appointment into the security services, more so, based on tribe. Emphatically, in his government policies, he never used tribalism in serving the regions and tribes of Ghana.
4. As to Heaven, it is only God who decides who goes there or not.
5. Finally, as to the creation of the medal the Order of the Black Star and Eagles of Ghana, President Kufuor believes that it is the prerogative of the president of the state to make such a creation and he as such did so as the exclusive title of presidents when they attain that unique office. President Nkrumah had created all the others upon Ghana attaining independence.